Who Can Apply for Membership?
All established Goddess-worshiping Witchcraft or Wiccan Covens and Solitaries of all traditions of our religion whose ethics are compatible with the Wiccan Rede is eligible for membership in the Covenant of the Goddess. All inquiries into membership should be sent to the National Membership Officer. If the coven or solitary is in an area near a Local Council, the National Officer will forward the inquiry to the local Membership Officer, who will respond.
General Criteria for Membership
- Have been meeting at least once a month for the purpose of worship for six months or longer.
- Generally focus theology, liturgy, ritual, etc., around the worship of the Goddess & the Old Gods, or the Goddess alone.
- Believe in and follow a code of ethics compatible with that of the Covenant.
- Have three or more members who have commitment to each other and have been formally accepted into training for the Clergy if joining as a Coven.
- Have at least one member who has been actively involved in our religion for at least three years, and functions as a High Priestess or High Priest (Elder) of the Coven (or of our religion if joining as a Solitary). A Solitary is an individual who either works without a coven, or chooses to apply as an individual despite regular coven membership.
Should you decide to become a member of CoG, you must submit the following:
- A completed Membership Application Form.
- A Statement of Practice: this should describe in general terms Who you worship, how you celebrate, how often you meet, what Sabbats you celebrate, how long you have been active in the Craft, how or from whom you received your training, what tradition (if any) you follow, your relationship to the Wiccan Rede, and other information that lets other members of the Covenant understand your practice of our religion. You must pledge to abide by COG‘s Ethics, Charter, Bylaws and policies, and you must state that you are Wiccan or a Witch.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: written by members of two different covens or solitaries that are either members of the Covenant or someone known to the Covenant (such as a former member) recommending that you be accepted as a member.
What if you don’t yet meet the requirements for full membership?
You may be interested in our Friends of CoG Program. Should you decide to become a Friend of CoG, you must submit the following:
- A completed Friends of CoG Application Form.
- A Letter of Introduction: which should be written by you. It must state that you are a Witch or Wiccan, that the Goddess (or the Goddess & Old Gods) is the primary focus of your Worship, that you agree to subscribe to the Code of Ethics, and that you wish to become a Friend of CoG. It should also include some details about you (or your Coven) such as length of time in the Craft, level of training (if any) and any Tradition or Culture you practice within or feel drawn to.
- A Letter of Recommendation (optional): written by a member of the Covenant or someone known to the Covenant (such as a former member) recommending that you be accepted as a Friend of CoG.
The appropriate Membership Officer (National or Local) shall verify all information regarding the criteria and requirements. Please see the CoG Bylaws for further information on membership requirements and our MAP for more information about Local Councils in your area.